By Eric H. Cline
In 1177 B.C., marauding teams identified merely because the “Sea Peoples” invaded Egypt. The pharaoh’s military and army controlled to defeat them, however the victory so weakened Egypt that it quickly slid into decline, as did many of the surrounding civilizations. After centuries of brilliance, the civilized international of the Bronze Age got here to an abrupt and cataclysmic finish. Kingdoms fell like dominoes over the process quite a few a long time. not more Minoans or Mycenaeans. not more Trojans, Hittites, or Babylonians. The thriving financial system and cultures of the past due moment millennium B.C., which had stretched from Greece to Egypt and Mesopotamia, by surprise ceased to exist, besides writing platforms, expertise, and enormous structure. however the Sea Peoples on my own couldn't have triggered such frequent breakdown. How did it happen?
In this significant new account of the motives of this “First darkish Ages,” Eric Cline tells the gripping tale of ways the tip was once led to by means of a number of interconnected mess ups, starting from invasion and insurrection to earthquakes, drought, and the slicing of foreign exchange routes. Bringing to lifestyles the colourful multicultural international of those nice civilizations, he attracts a sweeping landscape of the empires and globalized peoples of the past due Bronze Age and indicates that it used to be their very interdependence that hastened their dramatic cave in and ushered in a dismal age that lasted centuries.
A compelling blend of narrative and the most recent scholarship, 1177 B.C. sheds new gentle at the complicated ties that gave upward push to, and finally destroyed, the flourishing civilizations of the past due Bronze Age—and that set the level for the emergence of classical Greece.
Read Online or Download 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed PDF
Best archaeology books
André Grabar suggest une interprétation de l'iconoclasme byzantin (728-843) en étudiant directement les oeuvres d'art de l'époque de los angeles persécution des photos. los angeles bibliothèque scientifique de l'iconoclasme byzantin est considérable mais néglige les témoignages de l'art et des monuments, oeuvres autour desquelles se déroula l. a. querelle des photographs.
Through publishing those ten essays in English within the BAR sequence the learn conducted through the participants, and the proof and fieldwork methodologies they cite, is made to be had to a much broader viewers. This quantity comprises an immense number of case reports and overviews of rural payment in Israel from overdue prehistory to the trendy interval.
'Archaeology, Artifacts and Antiquities of the traditional close to East' follows the evolution of the author’s scholarly paintings and pursuits and is split into numerous different types of interrelated fields. the 1st half bargains basically with excavations and linked artifacts, matters in historic geography and the identity of old websites in northwest Iran, the author’s learn concerning the tradition and chronology of the Phrygian capital at Gordion in Anatolia, and the chronology and Iranian cultural family members of a domain within the Emirate of Sharjah.
Extra resources for 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed
Thus, the most abundant signposts of the trade routes and of international contacts may have perished, disintegrated, or Of Arms and the Man • • • 23 otherwise disappeared in antiquity. However, the existence of perishable trade goods can sometimes be identified in written texts or by depiction in wall paintings that have survived to the present. Such paintings, inscriptions, and literary references can serve as less ambiguous guides to contacts between peoples, provided that they are interpreted correctly.
45 According to various texts, the population of this kingdom was about 90 percent local Hurrians, as they were called, ruled over by the remaining 10 percent; these were the Mitannian overlords, seemingly of Indo- European stock. This small group, who had apparently moved in from elsewhere to take over the indigenous Hurrian population and create the Mitannian kingdom, had a military elite known as the maryannu Of Arms and the Man • • • 31 (“chariot-warriors”) who were known for their use of chariots and prowess in training horses.
Although unproven, it seems likely that we are looking here at a depiction of some major event that took place during Thutmose III’s reign, and that the delegates or merchants from the Aegean are just one part of the multinational crowd that has gathered or been summoned. 25 24 • • • Chapter One Fig. 4. Rekhmire’s tomb, with Aegean peoples depicted (after Davies 1943, pl. xx; courtesy of the Metropolitan Museum of Art). 27 Keftiu, Keftiu-men, and Keftiu-boats are mentioned in a variety of other contexts in Egypt from this period, including inscriptions on temples and notations on papyri.
1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric H. Cline